Wednesday 18 November 2009

Saw Precious, Now Can't Sleep

It's 3am, I've been awake for over two hours now - why? Because I saw the film Precious today and can't get it out of my head.

I had a few hours off from the kids, it was a beautiful day here in New York, but I had one thing on my mind, getting on a train to Union Square to see this film. I first heard about it months ago (I think when some photos of Mariah Carey in it were released) but then forgot about it until watching Ellen and she wouldn't stop raving about it.

What an experience! Ellen was right to urge everyone to go see this. It was so heart wrenching, I honestly felt like my heart stopped for a moment. I don't want to give any of it away but it was a raw, harrowing, amazing film with performances that will blow you away. It seems even ridiculous to say 'give them all an oscar' because if that isn't acting at it's absolute finest, then I don't know what is.

Once home, I hugged my children tighter than ever. It will be even harder to see a child get yelled at in the street and not intervene, wondering if they have a similar Precious situation at their home.

I'm now going to down a large glass of red in the hopes I get some zzz's before the baby wakes up in about 3 more hours.

1 comment:

  1. Man, riss, I forced kath to watch it with me last night after your review. But it was ruuuuuuuuuuuuubbish !
    Really piling on the sympathy vote.
    But I couldn't get involved or interested in the characters. Her mum was good though. Great acting.
    But I'm telling you, no one that big could nick a bucket of chicken and run 20 yards without having to stop ...
    Try watching star trek .. now that's a movie.

    brom

    ReplyDelete