Friday 13 November 2009

Sat nav - too much hype?

My darling husband realised it was our marriage or the tomtom sat nav - so he buckled and bought me the sat nav system. As you know from a previous post, I am clearly dubious about mapquest...

So I typed in JFK into my fancy new tomtom (despite knowing the way) and it took me to the middle of absolutely nowhere (100th street??!) in Jamaica, Queens. I questioned each and every turn but I was confident in the soothing voice telling me where to go. I ended up disturbing what I'm sure what a dodgy drug deal to find out the correct way when I finally gave up on the 4x6 screen and gave in to the old fashioned way - asking a stranger. (why do men not do this btw?)

A very good friend of mine once followed a sat nav system and ended up in a river. It even made the news

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/26/subaquatic_merc/

she is one of the best drivers I know, and thank god, with strength and fortitude, survived this hideous error on the part of the sat nav. She had no idea where she was going, it was a dark night, in the middle of absolutely nowhere. As if she would intentionally drive into a river!!

My take on all this - maybe we should stick to what our peers did - and read maps?!

No comments:

Post a Comment