Sunday 1 November 2009

Fourth Annual New York Marathon Party


We are fortunate to live on the route for the New York Marathon. It's better to watch it outside of Manhattan, because the crowds are much less, and we are literally right there, high fiving everyone without barricades blocking us in.

This has to be the most fun event in our neighbourhood and we go for it. We had about 40 people at our party to cheer on 40,000 strangers. Between all of us, we knew 6 runners so we stood outside with huge signs, cheering them all on. One thing I have to say about the marathon is that it attracts every walk of life and everyone who does it, truly is a hero in my book.

I stood outside with my Union Jack cheering on Paula Radcliff who looked -A-Ma-Zing. That woman is a personification of female power!

Also, one thing about the Union Jack - when a fellow Brit runs by and sees it, it's like they get a boost of energy and get really excited to see it. Aside from almost poking about 40 people in the eye with it as they ran by with me waving it, it's truly the tool to have on this amazing day.

My throat hurts from cheering on everyone for four hours but considering what they did, I am not complaining. I already can't wait for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment