Monday 21 June 2010

41 taking a Drivers Exam...


First of all, if you have any out of state license (in my case, California), do NOT ever ever ever, EVER (Margaux watching Princess and the Frog so the language is wearing off on me) let it expire.

I did. And what a fool I was to do so. New York has to have the most asinine system to procure a license. Which is nuts because so many drivers on the road clearly have no idea how to actually drive.

After 5 hours out in Coney Island, taking a written exam, (see previous posts) then a mindless, FIVE hour class from 9-2 on a precious Saturday with 7 other bored out of our minders... I then took the exam. I went through a local drivers school and that meant sharing the car with another girl taking her exam. In this case a charming French lady who had been driving for 2 entire months at the grand age of 37. In her defense, she had lived her life in Paris and NYC - two places where you don't really need to 'drive'. The driver from the school taking us out there was this mad, chain smoker called Carlos that was weaving in and out of traffic on 495 so much I was beginning to think we were on candid camera, this guy is an instructor?!

As you can see in the pic, we had to wait in this ridiculous long queue in the middle of nowhere Queens for over an hour. That hour is what made all the difference. We rolled up and I was like 'this is simple, round the block, parallel park, 3 point turn, can do that in my sleep'. But then when it was time to get in the car with the examiner (in this case a really cranky girl who was about 20), the nerves set it. My knees were buckling and my mouth was so dry! Crazy!! I did as she said, turn right, left, always indicating, and she had this piece of paper as you get penalised for certain errors. You are allowed up to 30 points to get a pass. I got 20... I got 20 that she pulled out of her ass. Hideous experience but thank goodness it's over and I no longer have to suffer the humility of handing over a 'Learner's Permit'! I never want to go through that ever ever ever EVER again!

No comments:

Post a Comment