Thursday 11 March 2010

RIP Hev/aka mum


I've thought long and hard about including this in my blog. But she was my mum and this blog is for posterity right??

The cremation was yday in Bristol. It was a cold, grey day. I didn't have my husband with me which was hard..

I managed to see my mum at the funeral home the night before. I'm not sure if seeing a 'departed' is a good idea or not, but for me it was. It gave closure to everything.

The next day I busied myself getting ready. I wanted to look good for mum. I looked the best I have looked for a long time. It lasted about 10 minutes until I saw her hearse coming up the drive and then I dissolved. Seeing the casket set off a trail of waterworks.

My stepfather had said it was to be a simple service, family only. However, my mum worked at the local hospice, a place that knows a thing or two about 'passing' and so the entire force of St Peter's Hospice seemed to show up. It shocked all of us. It showed us, that although mum had an 'eccentric' side with family (to put it mildly) she had a lot of love and respect where she worked. It meant so much to me that so many people showed up. The chaplain from the hospice did the sermon and she was amazing, she knew my mum so well and delivered the service without fault. I am sadly forgetting her name, but I remember she was from Orkney which surely impressed my Scottish mother.

May my mum rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment